True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Sunday, March 14, 2010

LESSONS

.  .  .  continued from the previous post: GOOD MORNING








Lucy got right to work teaching and feeding her little one.


The chick learned quickly to stay close,




but not too close.
 
  Lucy taught it to hunt for sorrel and dandelions, beetles and grubs, and to be respectful of bees, wasps and ants.
























Sometimes chickie needed to learn from experience.


Lucy taught chickie to climb stairs..


in order to beg for treats at the front door.






While Hatsy had been just totally in love with Lucy's eggs, she had absolutely no warm feelings for this little chick.  To prevent a violent disaster, I kept Hatsy and Lil'White cooped up while Lucy and her baby were out and about.


And while Marky had learned that big chickens are not prey,


he just couldn't help licking his little black lips when chickie was around.



So he was kept at bay too.
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 








Lucy watched out for hawks,
and chickie did its part by being virtually invisible most of the time.


 




Find chickie in this picture.




























I swear chickie's in this picture too.
























.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .




Lucy was strict about
the chick's bedtime... She required that they turn in way before dusk.


Some evenings, Chickie was just not into that.








Some days Chickie was just not into walking either.


Lucy was a good sport about it.
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  

It wasn't long before we realized


chickie was a boy.


I knew he'd have to go, because we have way too many neighbors way too nearby.  We couldn't have a rooster waking the whole neighborhood on Sunday mornings.


But hey... how hard could it be to find a home for a rooster?

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  next episode: ROOSTERMAN!

5 comments:

  1. The drawings are precious! I can't wait for the book!!! Roosterman I presume....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy and Chickie warm my heart! I love the photos and know that your book will be simply wonderful! Looking forward to it, and the blogs about this year's brood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it, I'm hooked. I came back this evening just to catch up in the story. You are a wonderfully talented artist and story teller. I agree with others, you should publish a book. I have cracked up reading this and nodded knowingly with the silly things my chickens do just like yours. We also had a to trade out a rooster. We managed to trade a rooster for a rooster! Guess some mistakes you do make twice.
    I'm looking forward to more tales of your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren,

    I just found your blog (although I couldn't even begin to tell you HOW I found your blog! ;-)

    It is delightful! I love the illustrations. I'm going to put a link to your blog on my blog roll so that I can follow yours and so can my readers.

    I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete