True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Tuesday, February 26, 2013

HOW TO DRAW A CHICKEN


I love to draw cats. 
 
Cats are really just a bunch of circles and triangles. 

  
Meet Pekoe.

 

Pekoe is two circles, and two triangles.

Okay now. 
To draw a chicken, you first draw a cat: 
Next, you have to decide whether you really want to draw a chicken.
Whichever route you take, you're pretty much there.




Chickens are made up of a bunch of circles and triangles, just like cats. 


Marky is, too, for that matter.  
But don't tell him I said so.


You can do a quick sketch, 

or you can spend some more time with that pencil.

Here's my elegant Daisy.


There. She's shaping up.






And next, we have a nice Lucy shape:


Don't forget the flip-side of the chicken :


What's up...?


If you're getting discouraged, look for an easier subject:


And if you're getting chicks this spring,


look for those circles: 

Fun thing about chicks and Silkies ---there are no lines... 


Just fluff.


Grab a pencil and give it a try! And then share your sketches on my Scratch and Peck Facebook Page.

Happy sketching!

-Lauren




40 comments:

  1. you are fab. and i love your art. can't wait to buy your book. finally getting my chicks and maybe some big girls very, very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goats. You didn't mention goats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll give it a try but you make it look easier than it really is. That's an artist for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lauren! I've been wanting to learn how to draw a chicken!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yay! Now, I can try to draw chickens in my chicken coop! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree you make it look easier than it really it is. I love how you capture their characters. Your sketches are so much fun.It's great to see how they take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful post - thank you so much it has made my day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic. This is my favourite blog ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another awesome post, Lauren! This is my favorite blog, too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So love this and how fortunate that it's vacation week. Sending the girls out with pad and paper this afternoon.

    Many thanks for a terrific post Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this so much I can't stand it. I've been drawing ugly chickens everywhere and people keep on asking what the scribbling is! Wait till they see them now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im going to try drawing my chickens this weekend! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make me smile, Lauren. I'm going to give this a try right now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Thank you for this post! You make it look so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make it seem so easy! I am definitely not an artist, but I think I will give sketching a try now. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always wondered how you do it. Think I will give it a try : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are the mistress of drawing! love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I have wondered for a good while how you managed to draw all these fun and interesting chicken sketches! Thanks for the Art Lesson!
    ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! Now I have to find me a pencil :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is almost too much cute and awesome all in one! What a fun "tutorial" thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a cat like Pekoe... Her name is Chloe. She has what we call a "dunlop"... As in, "Her belly "donlopped" over the back of the couch... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so hard I almost lost my tea! Oh, that was hysterical.

      Delete
  22. So that's how you do it!! I've always wondered how you'd draw Stupid, my ugly rooster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love cats and now thanks to you I love chickens too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a brilliant post to follow and funny too, I'm going to give this a go, thank you Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I stumbled upon this in a Google search and I must say... THANK YOU! I have FINALLY gotten the gist of chicken-drawing! Brilliant tutorial, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice variety of chicken tutorials. Seems so simple! :)

    ReplyDelete